Tuesday, February 17, 2009

That was a nice sermon

I heard a sermon the other day from a church in America and something that the Pastor said started to make me think a bit about behaviour in church. This Pastor mentioned that he was so surprised how many people will come up to him after a sermon to tell how much they enjoyed his sermon and how lovely it was. He was surprised because as a Pastor he is aiming to try and push peoples understanding and relationship with God.
Do we sit in church and just except that whatever the minister/preacher/pastor says is the truth and we have to agree with him/her? I know that this post is a conundrum because the theme came from something a pastor said but true... shouldn't we be trying to challenge one another in our faith?
What if the next time you heard something in a sermon or read something in the Bible that didn't make sense that you ask your minister about it or ask your small group leader about it. Sure they might not have the exact answer but they might have a thought or a new avenue that you hadn't possible registered.
Let us as brothers and sisters in Christ try to challenge and support each other in our growth with Christ because I promise you no one has all the answer not even your minister.
Grace and peace

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that!
    The aim of a sermon is not to get people to say 'well done that was very nice'.
    But to get people to be challenged, to think, to take something away, chew on it then own it for themselves, make it part of their story.
    I had a supervisor once who would take to me for hours and then at the end say... now I dont want you to just agree with me. Argue with me!

    ReplyDelete